27 March 2007

Nothing says "morals" like gay-bashing and eating meat!

Via Pam, I learned that at UNC-Greensboro the College Republicans are staging Morality Week. In front of the library.

Honestly, I have no problem with groups like College Republicans, and feel they have every right to express their political concerns as any other group. Anti-choice? Fine. March against reproductive choice. Pro war? Go ahead and have a recruiter; hell, enlist yourself!

But when these groups spout hate speech, I have a problem. One of the events is called "Straight Pride Day" which is an obvious hijack of a similar event held by homosexuals. What we have here are folks who are so skeeved out by "teh butt sex" that they claim homosexuals are shoving their lifestyle in everyone's faces. They often ask, "Why can't you just keep it to yourself?"

My answer: Try keeping your heterosexuality to yourself. Don't wear a wedding ring. Don't hold hands with your spouse/partner. Don't put pictures of your spouse/partner on your desk. Don't change your name after marrying.

See? The list could go on and on.

But I'm actually used to this kind of hate speech, even if it does make my skin crawl every time. What bothers me is the PETA BBQ.

When I saw this, I was confused, and thought that there was a mistake. But in this case, the College Republicans did something just so clever, wouldn't you know. PETA stands for "People for the Eating of Tasty Animals". Get it? It's so funny, I forgot to laugh!

First off, what the hell does this have to do with the Republican platform? Is their new target vegetarians? Are animals getting in the way of their agenda? I'm really confused.

Second, well, it's just gross. I eat meat occasionally, and I don't think I could eat the BBQ that they served at such an event because it would remind me of why I don't eat meat very often. Are they really going to sit around and talk about how tasty that pig or cow is? That just sounds morbid and boring.

But now I've had a thought! Maybe this event will turn more people off meat, and produce some vegetarians, even if just part timers! Now, that would make me laugh!

No comments: